Saturday, June 9, 2007

Weeks 1-3 Intro, Blogging, Flickr

Hi!

How is everyone progressing with 23 Things?



Of course Week 1's highlight was Thing 2 (reminds me of Dr. Seuss' Thing 1 and Thing 2!), the 7 1/2 habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners.










Probably the easiest habit for me is the second one: Accept Responsibility for Your Own Learning. I've always enjoyed learning new things, and luckily married someone who also enjoys learning. When our kids were in school, we praised their grades, but emphasized understanding the concepts they were learning rather than just completing the assignments for a grade.



Habit 1 is probably the challenging one, only not so much keeping the end in mind as breaking that ending image into goals. For instance, if I'm organizing a storage space, I'm motivated throughout the project by a very mindful image of the end result. I can "see" how to make best use of the space, how the space will function once organized, and how to proceed. I encounter obstacles when it comes to setting incremental goals toward the end.



The same challenge applies to learning. I can, for example, "see" the end of the 23 Things project. I know that this project will enhance existing skills while creating new ones. I'm eager to learn all that is offered, and I can easily determine obstacles and how to overcome them, toolbox needs, etc. Setting a goal, however, for the Learning Contract, is a bit harder. I'll probably decide to go for a broader goal rather than a specific one.





The result of Week 2 Thing 3 is what you are reading. I think it is easier to set up the blog than to write in it regularly, but I will try. Week 2 Thing 4 has been done, though on a Friday night so I won't know for a few days if the registration went through. I've also downloaded the 23 Things Tracking Log to my memory stick so I can carry it to/from work and home, ELK/POR, and whatever computer is available in Childrens. I think the instructions for filling in the Tracking Log are as clear as mud. This seems odd; directions you have to read through a few times to make sense of them is a deterrent for a project designed to encourage us to explore new technology.





More fun was flirting with Week 3's activities. Flickr features amazing photographs! I only just started exploring the site, and I look forward to completing the week's activities.


Take care, and have fun!

No comments: